Sunday, 20 May 2012

Wee wee wee wee all the way home

Being a Mum, you get to experience some amazingly beautiful moments with your child and partner.

This is not one of them!

WARNING:  This is a bodily functions story from a Mum.  If you think it might be too much information, please don't keep reading.

Yesterday morning the Little Big Fella woke up around 4:30 having wet his bed.  No big deal, we change his sheets (thank God for the invention of mattress protectors!), give him a little wash, put on clean pjs and get him back to sleep.

Later he wakes up complaining of a sore tummy and doesn't get out of bed to eat sausages for breakfast.  Then he didn't want to go with Daddy to cut down some trees with the Lion's Club using the new chainsaw.

Something was definitely wrong!

The Little Big Fella stayed in bed all day, only getting up to use the toilet and crying when he had to do that.  I ended up changing his sheets 3 times throughout the day, and giving lots of hugs and reassurance.

He ate nothing!  And only drank some lemonade and cordial.

By the afternoon he had liquid green poo (you can't see the face I'm making but it was gross!).

I think he watched almost every kids DVD we own yesterday and was only out of bed for a total of 20 minutes.

On the up side, I did get to put away a lot of things that didn't have homes yet so now the dining table isn't surrounded by junk!  And I've moved a few things around in the office so I can actually find things.  We might even do a craft project this week!

In the evening the Little Big Fella woke up crying again.  I picked him up and gave him a hug and carried him with me to the kitchen because I was in the middle of making pizzas.  All of a sudden I feel warmth... and start moving very quickly toward the bathroom!!!!  Yep, I got peed on.

We then had a little shower together, with him crying the whole time, then put him back to bed.

Overnight he woke a couple of times and had a light fever at one point, but no more accidents (yay!).  And this morning he came into our bed for about an hour (and thankfully, no accidents there either).

He actually sounded quite cheerful first thing this morning and has eaten a little bit.  His tummy doesn't seem to be hurting him as much now, but he does still have a temperature.

I'm hoping that he's just had a little 24 hour bug that apparently is going around town.  He's certainly having more moments of normality and even sat on the couch for a while this morning.

So there you go.  A day in the life of a mother with a sick child.  Really makes you want to be a parent right???

But actually, it reminds me how grateful I am that my son is generally healthy.  Yesterday I read the birth story of a lady who had a little girl with Downs Syndrome.  They didn't know before she was born and the pain agony of grief in those first 24 hours broke my heart.  Of course, she loves her daughter and reading how she overcame the intensity of that grief and how it became absolute unconditional love was amazing.

Her story reminded me to be aware of the great gift my son is.  And to make the most of every day as much as we can... even the gross ones :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment