Friday 24 February 2012

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Over the past week or so, I've been working with the Little Big Fella on speaking respectfully to each other.  For some reason, he's making all of his requests in a grumpy, demanding, yelling way.


I suspect this is partially because sometimes I don't hear him properly (I find it really hard to hear what someone's saying if I'm in another room - most likely a sign of my age :-D  ).


And, as I'm paying attention to the way he speaks to me, I've also been noticing that I'm not always speaking respectfully to him.  I get tired or frustrated or impatient.  And that's not okay.  My speaking shortly to him is just as unacceptable as him speaking grumpily to me.  So I've been working on that too.


But I've also been noticing how people generally speak to one another.  In shopping centres, in the yard, as they walk along the street.  And then we have our wonderful politicians!  Foul language, anger and disrespect are surfacing all over the place.


I love Aretha Franklin's song, "Respect".  It's a fun, funky song.  But it also characterises the way everyone wants to be treated.  And treating others with respect is sometimes really hard!  But I think everyone, regardless of what they say or do to you should be treated with basic, respectful speech.  Even if they only reason you can find to do so is because they are a human being!


I wonder what would happen if people started genuinely speaking with respect to everyone they come into contact with.  If we all put more respect into our speech with our families, our spouses, our children, our workmates, our customers, the person serving at the counter, the waiter or waitress...  Imagine what positive effects that could have!!!

1 comment: