Saturday 18 May 2013

The secret's out

I've seen a few TV shows over the past few years that have disurbed me.  They've shown young people out partying and having a good time.

Nothing disturbing about that, right?

WRONG!!!

Here's my secret (I suspect not many of you will be surprised by this):

I'm a prude.

I am an old-fashioned prude.

See, when I watch young people out drinking up a storm, or taking so-called "party drugs", or making out with whoever they happen to come into contact with, I don't think "there's the life!"  I think "that's so sad!" and I wonder how they'll feel in the morning.

I've never been a big party-er (surprise, surprise!), although I have certainly been out partying.  I love to dance!

I'm not a big drinker, although I have had enough to make the room spin uncomfortably, and I quite enjoy a glass of wine or two.

And I don't take drugs.  In fact, I've never even smoked a cigarette (unless you count second hand smoke, which we all know can do as much damage).

Some people would say I've missed out.  They could be right!  But I guess I never got into the party scene because it always seemed so superficial to me.  I could never see the point of kissing a guy I'd never see again.  And attempting to make conversation when the music is louder than my own thoughts... well, let's just say it's not my cup of tea ;-)

I am one of those rare creatures who didn't sleep with anyone until I was married.  I know!  It's shocking, isn't it???  But I don't feel like I've missed out on anything.  I got to discover my sexuality with a man who loves me and won't reject me, regardless of what I do and don't like.  I've never had to do "the walk of shame" and I've never felt guilty or uncomfortable about anything I've done.

I'm not saying that everyone whose experience is different to mine is wrong or bad or anything stupid like that.  Just that this is my experience and matches my personality and background.

I am a prude.

And I reckon I might just be a little bit proud of that!

2 comments: