Sunday 19 May 2013

Am I just lazy?

I'm taking part in two challenges at the moment.  One is a competition between the towns in our area where we try to get as many people walking as possible throughout the month.  Each person records their "steps" (using a pedometer or app on their phone) and submits it each week, to be added to the town total, hopefully beating all the other towns.

I wonder what the prize is?  I hadn't thought of that until now.  I just joined in.  Hmmm, that could be a nice surprise!

The second challenge is a 4 week Fit Yummy Mummy team challenge.  Doing various things each day gives you points and at the end of the challenge the team with the most points wins!

One of the ways to earn points is to count your steps (seeing a pattern here, yeah?).

But here's the thing.  It's suggested that people walk around 10,000 steps per day for good health.  Most days I'm only getting 4,000 (on a "normal" day) to 6,000 (on a "busy" day).

So, am I just lazy?

I wouldn't have thought so!  I mean, I run around doing the housework, up and down the stairs to do washing, go to the park with the Little Big Fella, ride my bike to the post office, walk around the supermarket to shop, walk up and down the house all day putting stuff away, and feel tired at the end of the day... but I'm still only getting 4,000 to 6,000 steps a day.

So, am I lazy?

Maybe I am!  Maybe I sit or stand still more than I realised.  I sit at the computer to read and write.  I sit to eat (obviously).  I sit at the park.  I basically stand still to do the dishes and ironing and fold the washing.

Am I lazy?

But then I wonder, is it my pedometer?  I have a pretty smooth gait when I walk. I literally practiced walking with books on my head when I was a girl because I thought it was elegant.  So maybe my (very cheap) pedometer doesn't realise that I'm moving?  Or my phone app.

Yeah, that must be it!  It's all the fault of my technology ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment