Monday 3 September 2012

Under the Sea

I mentioned recently that I'd be sharing one of the effects of my re-think about being a stay-at-home mum.  Well, today's the day!!!

When I was little, I dreamed of having a themed bedroom.  Maybe a bunk bed with my sister that was built like a jungle cubby, complete with a rope bridge to climb up and a slide to get down.  Fake trees and vines all over the walls and ceiling and a few birds hanging around.  Maybe even a mural painted all over the walls and ceiling!!!  I wanted to feel like our room was a different place.

I've been thinking about similar things for the Little Big Fella's room, but on a slightly smaller scale.  And in creating that fun space, we could learn things along the way.

So last week I collected a few things from the cheap shop and the other day the Little Big Fella and I made some hot glue gun glitter fish.

Some what???

Hot glue gun glitter fish!  We drew fish on coloured paper, then used the hot glue gun to put blobs of glue on them, then tipped glitter on the glue.  Hot glue gun glitter fish!  Ta da!



""I'll take a photo of you Mum!

 The Little Big Fella grabbed my camera for this shot :-D



So we made the fish!  I'd also found some other fishy things around the house that we'd done previously - a fishing game where I'd made paper fish and put paper clips on their noses so we could "hook" them with a paper roll fishing rod, a picture we'd coloured a long time ago, and a seagull that we'd made after playing with one at a local event.

Over the last few days we've been re-creating the Little Big Fella's room, watching under the sea movies and reading fishy books :-)


The entry to our Under the Sea world :-)

Blue cellophane waves really add to the feel of the room
(and with the temps starting to hot up, they make it feel cool like the water too)

The "seaweed" is some raffia, the cut out fish are from the game, and the coloured paper is the hot glue gun glitter fish.
And the toys are normally in the blue box :-)

And our seagull (who will have to move when we need to use the fan :-D)
I've got some other ideas to add to the room and heaps of ideas for the future (jungle, space, beach, pirates...).  So far it's fun and the Little Big Fella loves his under water world.

In other news of the day ;-)...

The Big Fella made some garlic pork sausages today that taste awesome.  I helped him stuff them into the skins and then he smoked them in our new smokehouse/BBQ.




AND... yesterday we had a bit of time in the garden pulling weeds, planting the herbs out from the pots into the vege patch, mowing, whipper snipping, fertilising... it was exhausting!  But it's looking great:



So that's what we're up to at the moment.  And I'm a bit exhausted so I'm heading to bed :-D  Then on to the next episode in the adventures of ScooterShell and the Big Fellas!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment