Thursday 20 September 2012

Summer already???

It was 33 degrees inside my house today.  33 degrees!!!!  (That's Celsius, by the way - about 91 degrees Fahrenheit.)  And it's only September!!!

And even though I've lived in Queensland for the past 6 years and am somewhat acclimatised, I'm worried!  If this is what it's like in September (which is normally one of my favourite months), what is it going to be like mid-Summer???

Yes, we do have air conditioners in the bedrooms, and they'll certainly be a relief, but I don't actually like living in a temperature controlled environment.  And I don't want to pay exorbitant electricity bills either.  Yep, I'm cheap ;-D

I decided around lunchtime to pull out the Little Big Fella's "swimming pool".  It's maybe a 1.2m circle and about 15-20cm deep.  But it's served us well.  And just as I was about to do this, the little girl from next door started playing with the Little Big Fella through the fence.  So I asked her mum if she could come and play in the "pool" too.  She was over here in a flash!  :-D

They happily played together for the whole afternoon, including having a hold of the chickens, having some fruit and a sandwich, and playing in the sandpit (yes, they were still wet!).  It was nice to sit in my chair in the shade and watch them play (occasionally suffering the little splashes that came my way).

I suspect water is going to be a fairly big part of our summer.  And probably staying indoors in the middle of the day.

Oh!  I went to a Nutrimetics party last week (haven't been to one of those in a LONG time) and the lady had a machine that shows the state of your skin.  For example, white is the dead skin cells, orange is oil, and brown is skin damage.  Surprise, surprise, my skin is seriously sun damaged!  Guess who's been wearing her sunscreen and hat every day since!

It's not that I don't wear sunscreen or hats, it's just that I don't wear them all the time and I haven't worn them at all over winter.  My poor skin is paying for it and will probably pay for it as I get older too!  Bummer :-(

The Big Fella is going to be home for the next 4 days (in theory) so the list of things to do is long ;-).  A bit of yard work, okay, a lot of yard work!  It's a mess out there!  Cleaning out the shed, fixing my poor car... and that's before we add in anything food related :-D

So goodnight, keep cool (or warm if you're in another state or country), and don't forget to tell your loved ones how special they are to you - they can't read your mind ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment