Monday, 6 April 2015

A new Easter tradition

The Big Fella and I have been married for 13 years (please, hold your applause).

Throughout that time I've shared many of my family traditions with him.  He's been... nonplussed about tradition.  It's not that he dislikes any of them, he just doesn't really see the point.

But this year he mentioned something that his mum apparently did every Easter when he was growing up.  I think he's mentioned it before but I never really picked up on it.

Each Easter, the Big Fella and his sister would wake up to a large marshmallow bunny, homemade by his mum.

I assume they had chocolate as well, but this obviously stood out to him, because the way he said it suggested that it was special to him.

So, despite the fact that I've never made marshmallow, and despite the fact that it requires gelatine, which I've never used and am somewhat scared of, I decided to make my wonderful husband some marshmallow this year.

Problem number 1, I didn't have any gelatine.

Problem number 2, our supermarket was closed except for Saturday and I knew it would be chaos there.  That, and I really didn't want to go there.

Okay, so we decided to do the shopping on Sunday at the closest big town, and I added the gelatine to the list.  But by the time we got back, it was kind of late and I was too tired to try something new.

So given that tomorrow I'm going back to work, I decided to give it a go today.

My fear of gelatine seemed quite rational when I had to mix it into the cold water with a fork.  It lumped up all over the place!!!!  Thankfully a little patience and focused fork-action pretty much sorted it out.

Then when I was beating the mix to make it thick and marshmallow-y, it just didn't seem thick enough.  A little more time and patience and it looked a bit better.

We had some friends over throughout the day (kids here, then there, then everyone here) so they got to trial the marshmallow when it seemed to be ready.

It was very... soft.  But tasted pretty good.  And it was very sticky!  Trying to get the little ones out of the moulds was really tricky!!!

I had also made a large slab, so I left that to set for a while longer.

This evening I cut it up and rolled it in coloured coconut.  It's set!!!!  Want to see it?

So I guess this is going to be a new Easter tradition in our household.  Hopefully next year I can even get it together enough to produce them for Easter Sunday morning!  And maybe even find a large bunny mould, just to make the Big Fella's Easter complete.

Yeah, I think I can do that :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment