Wednesday 23 April 2014

Dreaming of work

I've been asked to come in and work at the bank this week, which is particularly exciting because it's allowing me to go to my Primary-school-best-friend's wedding.

It's been a bit tough being the semi-useless one again.  There's surprisingly a lot to learn (and forget!) in this job.

I've enjoyed having the days race by, and conversing constantly with adults about adult things like home loans and savings accounts, as well as general "life stuff".

But as I was driving home this evening, it occurred to me that I don't want to do admin-style work for the rest of my life.

I'm good at administration (I get that from my Dad).  But ultimately it bores me, and doesn't seem to have any real purpose.

And then I started dreaming again.  Dreaming about helping people gain movement, relieving pain, building hope.

I know there will be boredom and stress and whatever else, because there are necessary things in life and work that just aren't fun or inspiring.

But the majority will be interesting, challenging and helpful.

I wonder what it will be like to really enjoy going to work?  And I wonder if I may be slightly ill, because who dreams of work????

No comments:

Post a Comment