Friday 1 July 2016

Death

I think about death pretty regularly.

Not in a morbid or suicidal way, but in a practical and caring-for-others kind of way.

When we'd been married less than a year, the Big Fella was told that his chronic kidney condition could mean he had 5-15 years to live.  Thanks to modern medicines, he's still alive and kicking along very well, with no obvious sign of the end in sight.

But that sudden shock at such an early part of our relationship got me thinking about what I would do if I was suddenly widowed.  And I think about it briefly every few months still.

Would I stay where I am or move closer to family?
Would I need a different job?
How would the Little Big Fella go and would changing locations and schools be a bigger upset?
What would I do with all the mechanical stuff the Big Fella owns???
Could I bear to live in our house without him?
Who would look after my car???

After my Poppy's funeral in November 2014, I also started thinking about wills, and who knows I'd like to be an organ donor, and that I'd rather be cremated and sprinkled in a beautiful garden somewhere than buried, and what the purpose of a funeral is, and how could I help my loved ones go through that if I died?

Tonight while doing the dishes I was thinking about it all again, and wondering what the best way to communicate how much I love people would be.  I've always wanted to write a song, and I could imagine doing that and having it played with a montage of photos of all the people I've loved throughout my life.  It would probably make people cry a bit, but hopefully also laugh, and feel at peace.

I'd want my Fellas to know that I love them both so much, and even if our last words were angry, it couldn't take away from the love of a lifetime.  I'm so exceptionally proud of my son, and my husband is so unique and talented that he could never be replaced.

By the way, I hate bagpipes at funerals.  They're an instant tear-jerker for me in that environment!  It's okay to cry at funerals but to do things that make people cry on purpose, that is a no-go for me.

The Big Fella has said that he wouldn't want a funeral because he'd be dead and wouldn't care.  But I think a funeral is actually for the people left behind.  It's time and a place to allow grief, and acknowledge that someone you've loved or admired has gone.  It's like a line in the sand, a point in time that validates your loss.

But I also agree with him that funerals should be personal.  If someone tried to play hymns at the Big Fella's funeral, I'd almost expect him to come back from the dead and deck them!  He's NOT a fan of hymns.  I'd imagine something from Disturbed or Five Finger Death Punch, or possibly Stone Sour would tickle his fancy a little more.  If he died being hit by lightning, I'd guarantee he'd want "Thunderstruck" by ACDC!

It's funny.  In Australia we don't deal with death very well (as a generalisation, of course).  We're predominantly separated from death, and have a small window of opportunity to grieve socially when we lose someone.  Everyone moves on with their lives, which is okay and normal, but then when the person who has suffered such a big loss remains in grief, we generally don't respond well because we don't know how to.

And then there are the platitudes and hurtful things people say without meaning to be horrible.

"You'll get over it"
"It could have been worse"
"I totally know how you feel!  My cat died last year and I was devastated"
"There's a greater plan for your/their life"

Any of those things could be true, but they don't help the grieving person.  They actually invalidate their pain and make them feel worse.

Wow!  This has gone in a totally different direction to how I started!  And now I'm not sure how to round it up and wrap it in a bow.

I guess I started out thinking about people I love, and all the different places I've lived and the people I've known, and what an impact they've all had on me.  And I want you all to know that I've appreciated you!  I've loved laughing with you, eating with you, playing with you, even crying with you.  My life is infinitely richer for the people who are and have been in it.

So thank you!
Thank you for the long and short haul friends.
Thank you to my wonderful family, near and far, close and not-so-close.

You are the best parts of me because I couldn't be me without you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You, too? I kid you not, dear. We were in an accident yeeers ago, my sweetheart and I (she died at 17, I at 15) and I saw Seventh-Heaven for either an instant or less than a month. Dunno.

    Nevertheless, the Trinity saved this sinfull mortal and let her perish. Dunno why. This is our story which few people wanna reeed like the weed which grows in the pond so fulla bursting NRG and absurd abstruseness which the world doesn't wanna hear - mosta U.S. are too interested in the whorizontal. Grrr. Whatever You want is what I want, Jesus.

    God gives U.S free-will in our weary, finite existence, thus, what we sinfull mortals DO with it determines our destiny for eternity.

    trustNjesus, dear.
    Meet me Upstairs.
    Gotta lotta tok bout...

    ReplyDelete