Monday 4 April 2016

Against the grain

I'm pondering a little tonight.

I should really be in bed because tomorrow will be a big day, with a decent drive, lots of activity and an early start.

But, I'm pondering.

It seems that most of my life, I've run against the grain.

Growing up in a Christian home, I didn't believe the things most of the kids at school did.

As a pastor's daughter, there was often an element of separation from the rest of the congregation.

Being a people-pleaser, I didn't rebel like most of my friends during puberty.

Although I went to pubs and nightclubs, I never got the thrill out of it that others appeared to.  And New Year's Eve, well, Bah Humbug!

I like to drink sometimes, but I never aim to get drunk (which seems to be the entire purpose of drinking for most people in Australia).

And it feels like I'm one of the few mothers in our area who works full-time, so I'm not involved in the school pick-up, P&C, or any of the "standard" mother-y things.

The thing is, 99% of the time, I'm quite happy to go against the grain of "normal".  Even though I have down times, I love my life and the people I share it with!

As well as reflecting, I'm pondering if my against the grain-ness is a catalyst for something quite different.  Because of my difference, could I be or do something different?  (Of course I can, but will I?)

No comments:

Post a Comment