Thursday 27 December 2018

September 2018

We're on a roll!

September saw the Big Fella still away for school in the first part of the month, but then home and working day shift for most of the rest of it, which was great!

Back in May I attended an art workshop and my friend looked after the Little Big Fella for the two days.  The agreement was that I'd take plenty of notes, and we'd do a workshop review later.  We finally got around to it in September, and a few others who missed out came along as well.


It was great to review what I'd learned, and helping others with the various techniques was fun and gratifying.  They did brilliantly!

September is the Big Fella's birth month, and now he gets to share his birthday with my youngest sister's first child!  The Big Fella is glad to have the limelight off him!  This gorgeous little boy was born healthy and as precious and loved as a child could be:


Unfortunately I won't get to see him in person until the end of January (stupid idea living so far from family, right?), but we've had a few phone and video calls, which is a good start.

With the Big Fella away at school, the Little Big Fella and I ended up driving down one weekend to hang out with him there.  But instead of hanging around town, we drove down to our old beach side town and visited my Nanna.  It was SO good to see her!



Here's the Little Big Fella posing at our coffee stop :-D




We checked out Nanna's village, had a cuppa at their cafe, and checked out the wildlife in the nearby lagoon.



Then we took her out to lunch at our favourite restaurant.  It was decadent and delicious and a great treat for all of us.  Then the boys went for a walk along the beach and Nanna and I sat at a table by the beach and had a chat.  We took her back to her place then headed back up the road to the Big Fella's school town.

I love where we live, and I love much of my life here, but I really do miss my family and the friends I've made along the way.  I think I'm getting more sentimental as I get older, too.  I certainly appreciate the time I get to spend with my loved ones when I get it, though!

September was difficult at work, as we lost one of the guys' stepdad, who worked for us at another site.  He was very much loved, and the impact was widely felt.

Australians don't generally express much to their co-workers, but this year our workplace has been pushed hard from many directions.  If anything good could come from the tragedies and tensions of this year, it is that we've discovered we actually care about these people we spend more time with than our families, and we're willing to do what we can when the chips are down.  "My boys" at work are actually really precious to me and I worry about each of them like mother or sister.  I'm proud of them all in different ways, and I'd like to remember that, even when things are going along without incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment