Sunday 1 September 2013

Tea towel fights

When I was about 4, my family lived in a large, 2 story home.  It was my parents, myself, my two sisters... and a bunch of teenagers.  I don't actually recall how many "extras" there were in the house, but there was a girl's room upstairs and a guy's room downstairs and I think there would have been at least 4 or 5 at any one time.

I have a strong memory of that time.  I remember sneaking out of bed one night and sitting at the top of the stairs, watching a bunch of these teenagers washing the dishes.

Except, they weren't washing the dishes.  They were having tea towel fights.

I have no idea how long I sat there, watching them all laughing and screaming and threatening.  Eventually I was noticed and sent back to bed, but the scene obviously had a strong impression on me.



This evening the Big Fella was drying the dishes for me, while I washed.  He walked into the lounge and tea towel-flicked the Little Big Fella, who started bawling his eyes out!

"But I didn't do anything wrong!" he cried.

The Big Fella then grabbed another tea towel and proceeded to teach the Little Big Fella how to flick a tea towel.

The obvious next move was to attack Mummy!

We spent the next 5 or 10 minutes running around chasing each other, flicking tea towels, trying to hold limbs still whilst inflicting tickles or flicks as seemed appropriate, and laughing till our sides hurt.

And now I'm wondering if this scene will impress itself on my Little Big Fella's mind in the same way that mine did at his age?

No comments:

Post a Comment